16 and older
This course covers both the art & the science of raising money for a startup, led by someone who’s done it. After raising money and deploying capital from her first $32 million funds, Campfire Capital, instructor Brooke Harley realized that Ivy League students were being specifically groomed and taught to raise money for their ideas. But she believes this training should be available to anyone who wants to learn, at an affordable price.
After taking this course, you will be able to
- Find the right investors and get your foot in the door for a meeting.
- Know what to include in your pitch deck, and how to ace the pitch.
- Navigate a technical financial conversation with investors.
- Know which terms of the deal to focus on to keep as much equity and control as you can.
- Push the deal over the line to closing.
SESSION 1 - THE BASICS
- What the basic pattern of early stage investing looks like: which investors are involved when, typical round sizes, and typical deal terms in each stage of the deal.
- What major resources you can rely on beyond this course to help you raise money.
- How to find investors that will be interested in your industry and your stage of development.
- Tracking how much of the company you're keeping and giving away and who owns what.
- Why you need a VC lawyer throughout your company’s fundraising rounds.
SESSION 2 - ALTERNATIVES TO TRADITIONAL FUNDRAISING
- How to find business grants that don’t cost you equity.
- How to launch product crowdfunding campaigns and pre-sales that don’t cost you equity.
- How to launch equity crowdfunding campaigns.
- The mindset and etiquette you should adopt when you are raising money from angels and VCs.
- How to prepare your investor target list, pitch deck, 5 year forecast and data room ahead of your raise period.
- Why it’s important to create competition among VCs.
SESSION 3 - SEED STAGE FUNDRAISING
- The 2 main ways early stage deals come together.
- The 7 key things you need to focus on to achieve ‘deal economics’ that are in your favor.
- What a convertible note is, its key terms, and why it’s used in Seed Stage deals.
- What a SAFE is, and its key terms.
- How to use a Series A Pro Forma Cap Table to predict how much equity you are giving up in your seed round.
SESSION 4 - SERIES A STAGE FUNDRAISING
- How to set up your Employee Stock Option Plan and how it works.
- What Convertible Preferred Shares are and why they’re used during Series A rounds and beyond.
- What a Liquidation Preference is and how it affects you when you sell your company.
- How to set up your Board of Directors while giving up as little control as possible.
- What levers of control VCs negotiate into the deal.
SESSION 5 - HOW VC FIRMS WORK
- How VCs raise money.
- How VC firms are structured and how they grow.
- Rules that govern how VCs can and can’t invest.
- How to select investors.
- Negotiation tactics.
SESSION 6 - MANAGING INVESTOR RELATIONSHIPS & THE EXIT
- Managing your investor relationships with care: best practices.
- Investor relations best practices.
- Types of Exit.
- Stepping through an Acquisition of your Company.