18 and older
The last decade has seen blockchain technology grow from an anarchic financial experiment to a global engine for organizational and societal revolution.
During this workshop, we will chart the path from pre-Bitcoin computer science breakthroughs to Bitcoin and the rise of alternative currencies that challenge the way we think about money, through Ethereum and the rise of smart contracts, arriving at the present day explosion of tokens, enterprise networks, and decentralized applications.
Topics we will cover:
- Explore the history of digital cash and blockchain technology
- Explain the technology that make blockchains possible
- Examine exciting new decentralized applications that use blockchain technology to change the world.
Whether you are a developer building for the future of the Internet or a curious enthusiast making sense of the hype, this session will help you understand why blockchain technology just might be the next great coordinating tool for humanity.
This class is designed for anyone without prior knowledge of blockchain and cryptocurrency technology.Takeaways
- Ability to understand how Bitcoin and Ethereum blockchain implementations work under the hood
- Understand what smart contracts are and be able to conceptualize smart contract applications, otherwise known as decentralized applications (Dapps)
- Know what it takes to release an initial coin offering (ICO) on the Ethereum network
- Students should be familiar with the basic functions of their computer, but no previous experience in data analysis or Google Sheets is required.
- A laptop is required for this workshop.
- Access to Google Sheets. (If you do not have access, create a Google account.)
- Students should have some basic technical aptitude, orientation to computers, and the curiosity to learn new tools.
For students enrolling in 12 week part time and immersive classes, it is not recommended that you book more than one class simultaneously.